Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Finally Employed

I have finally officially been hired to work in Ohio as a nurse. I was offered the position today after nearly a month of jumping through all sorts of hoops. It was the job I REALLY wanted. I will be working for a healthcare system called Promedica. They own quite a few hospitals around the Ohio area. I will be working in the Toledo Children's Hospital in their internal agency. What this means is I will be obligated to float to 2 areas within the hospital ( I chose NICU, and Peds), I will only have to do those 2 areas. All their shifts you sign up for on-line, up to 6 weeks in advance. They have 6,8, and 12 hour shifts available. One of the best parts is they DO NOT require that I work weekends, or holidays unless I want to. So I will work weekends if I need to, and when I want to work a holiday I will still make my good wage plus the time and a half. It is a per diem position. My new boss showed me the shifts available on-line just in the NICU and it went on for 3 pages.
The NICU is a level III nursery, with 60 beds. It is very big. What they do different is that most rooms are private, instead of pods. I have not yet personally seen it, but it sounds interesting. My wage is great. I will have a base wage plus they pay premiums for most shifts that I will be picking up. So most shifts I will be making $35-$40 per hour. I had to take 5 competecy exams to get this job. They were timed tests, and to tell the truth they were horrible. I had to pass with an 85%. I did not enjoy them at all, but I passed and they are done. YEAH!
I am excited to start, and look forward to working with the babies that I love. I love knowing that I can work when it is convient for me day or night. Anyway just wanted to let you all know.

8 comments:

John and Sherri said...

Wow! That sounds great. It looks like everything is falling in to place for your family out there- isn't it amazing how that happens?! Take care- keep us updated.

Tavia said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a SWEET deal all around. You can still put your family first and supplement the income. That's HUGE! Also, it sounds like they will always have needs with 60 bed. Very cool!

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

Congrats! Didn't take you long. They will be lucky to have you working for them!

PS. I need your email to add to my private blog...

Christy C. said...

Wow that is a big NICU. I'm glad you were able to get the job you wanted and have great pay. Sounds awesome.

Celeste said...

See what you get for being a smarty pants??? Yay! Hope it works out well for you!

Heather said...

Glad you got the job. It's one less thing to worry about, and it sounds like things will work out just fine with your schedule. Blessings, Blessings! You must be doing something right!

SuZaNNe said...

WOO-HOO, COMPETANT WOMAN!!

Diane said...

That is awesome Kristin!!! That sounds like a sweet deal. You will have to let us know how it turns out. And of course you passed those tests. You are an awesome nurse. Our loss is their gain.