Friday, January 23, 2009

Consumer Choice?

I know I already posted today, but in my travels I thought of something else to blog about that has been bugging me. I live in a small college town now. In this town I feel like I no longer have options when it comes to where I can shop. We have no Target, Shopko, Mervyns(yes I know they are going out of business), K-Mart, and a huge (SIGH), no COSTCO! We have a Super Wal-Mart. *ta da* I don't want to offend anyone, but really dislike Wal-mart and I never, I repeat never shop there unless I have tried every other store within a 10 mile radius. So here I sit, and realize how much I miss all the choices I once had. I have found some small replacements; Elder Beerman, and Miejers, they are a consolation prizes. I really miss Costco. And sometimes I will drive 20 miles up the road just to visit, and feel peace in my heart once again. :) So to those of you that love to have choices, keep fighting for them. For one day we might not have anything but blue shopping centers.

6 comments:

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

I HATE walmart too.. but always find myself there for grocery's cuz the grocery stores are way more expensive.. It's a double edge sword. I would die without a Costco... You must be strong!!!

SuZaNNe said...

Okay, Kristen it is time to move back home!!! We miss you and that is just too much :(

Anonymous said...

What a culture shock! You'll have to do like in the olden days---stock up big time when you get to the big city! Sounds so not convenient!

Heather said...

I hate the Walmart closest to my home, but it is so convenient sometimes..... Things like cereal and household cleaners are so much cheaper, but I NEVER buy meat or produce from them. Paul used to be a produce boy in high school and college and just doesn't see the quality at Walmart.
Life without Costco? My kids would hate it!

mitchclan said...

I'm with ya there girl! There is absolutely nothing pleasant about wallyworld! I feel for you!

Lee Marston Bartholomew said...

What our economies problems come down to is consumer greed. Walmart has figured out how to capitalize on that greed. We all want what we want, and have to find a way to have it within (or without) our resources. After being in retail business for 10 years I understand that few people are willing to buy based on what they want alone. they all make concessions for price. they cut an American job here and compromise a future for themselves and their children. The world is strong when America is strong. not many people would argue with that statement. So, buy quality US products. Shop only where you are given ethical buying options. Treat every product vendor the way that you would want to be treated. consumer has been king for too long. Think about it act on it