Sunday, February 1, 2009

Who would of thought...

Lee the kids and I went to the Toledo Museum of Art yesterday. We thought it would be fun, and it was free! When we entered, we were immediately suprised how much security was visible. We started going through the museum and realized we should have picked up one of the free strollers provided for Kale. He wanted to run and touch everything! They wouldn't let Lee pack him around on his shoulders either. So I went back and borrowed one. :) We were enjoying all art, artifacts, pottery, etc.... We saw some amazing things! Like a vase dating back to 5000 B.C., sarcophogii without the mummies, since they were on vacation; assyrian wall relief sculpture, and so much more. After a while we went over to the west wing and started to see the art shown there. It only took a minute before we understood that we were in the gallery where some very famous paintings were located. We saw Picasso paintings first and were shocked to discover they were the originals. After a couple of minutes we came across this.




Wheat Fields with Reaper Painted by Vincent Van Gogh. We couldn't believe they had this kind of quality in the Toledo museum! (We did ask to photograph, and they said yes, as long as we didn't use a flash).

Next, we happened upon this painting.


This painting is by Claude Monet. I can't remember the title. They also had art by Rembrandt, Cezanne, Renior, just to name a few. I was floored to think they had so much much fine art, in Toledo! We only saw about 2/3 of the museum and plan to go back and visit really soon. We didn't even have the chance to visit the glass art building. The kids even were entertained.

As a side note, Lee and I received callings in our ward today. Lee has been called as Young Men President. He is excited and enjoys working with the YM. I have been called as one of two Gospel Doctrine teachers. I am a little anxious about this, luckily I won't teach every week so Iwill have more time to prepare. We know it will make our lives more complicated, but we also know we will be blessed for our service.

8 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

That is CRAZY! I remember those paintings- the VanGogh and the Monet from a game we used to play when I was a kid. How cool to see them 'for real'!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great place to visit. Congrats on your new callings! You'll do great.

Unknown said...

The first time I went there I sat in front of my favorite painting and just cried for 15 min. just the awe of it all! It is one of the reasons I married Mike. It is amazing. We haven't taken the kids in years, I think after busy season we will do that! Thanks! And I know you'll do great!

John and Sherri said...

That is so awesome! I can't imagine seeing those originals. How fun. Looks like your family is doing great on your adventure!

BookwormMom said...

I am SOOOOO very jealous...I have often wished for a good art museum around these parts. I believe the Monet is called "Water Lilies"...it's one of my favorites.

Celeste said...

As if you or Lee would have any appreciation for art... That is really very cool! As for the church callings, that's what you get for being good kids. Big jobs! You'll do great!

SuZaNNe said...

That's really neat about the art and congrats on the callings. Gospel Doctrine? Holy Moly!

Heather said...

That's Amazing! I believe that Monet painted many versions of the painting since the pond was in his yard. (If I was really awake in art history class that day)